Nokia DVLUP Day NYC – Register to Attend
March 4, 2014
Learn to make amazing Windows Phone apps at Nokia DVLUP Day in New York City on Saturday March 22, 2014 and win big prizes just for participating. Join Nokia Developer Ambassadors Nick Landry & Lance McCarthy, as well as several Microsoft Technical Evangelists, as they provide hands-on Windows Phone development training in a dynamic and fun event. Whether you’re a seasoned developer or barely know how to code, you will walk away with the ability to write a mobile app.
With full sample source code and step-by-step instructions, you will learn how to make an app or game from scratch, or learn new techniques to enhance your current apps & games. No matter what you want to build – an app or a game – or what your programming skill level is, there are four individual tracks to choose from, which means there is something for everyone.
DVLUP Day is a unique community event that combines presentations by Windows Phone experts along with a hands-on workshop to help attendees get started on their apps. BRING YOUR LAPTOP! Work with our experts, get started on your app or game, publish it within 3 weeks after the event and get a free Windows Phone 8 device!
DVLUP Day New York City will be held on March 22, 2014 at the new Microsoft Office in Manhattan at:
11 Times Square, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10036
What You Will Receive
As an attendee of DVLUP Day NYC you will be eligible for the following:
- A Windows Phone 8 device. Every attendee who publishes a new app or game within 3 weeks of the event will get a new Nokia Lumia Windows Phone 8 device.
- A heavy-duty DVLUP backpack. The first 150 registered attendees to sign-in the morning of the event will receive a swag bag full of goodies, even the backpack itself is worth $89 (it’s a Wenger, Swiss Gear TSA friendly laptop bag). We’ll have swag, t-shirts and other goodies for everyone too.
- A Nokia Developer Offers token. This is worth hundreds of dollars and contains the following:
- Microsoft Windows Phone DevCenter account (this is your portal to publish apps to the Windows Phone Store and also unlocks physical devices for building apps)
- Telerik UI for Windows Phone license
- Infragistics NetAdvantage for Windows Phone license
- BugSense Performance Monitoring solution for Windows Phone (3 months)
- $50 AdDuplex credit (approx. 20,000 ad impressions). AdDuplex is an ideal network to cross-promote your app with others. You’ll learn about AdDuplex in the App Marketing & Advertising lightning talk.
There will be multiple random drawings for attendees to win a Nokia Lumia “Hero” device of their choice (Lumia 1020, 928, 925, 920) and other prizes. In addition to the phones, we’ll be giving away other prizes from Nokia & Microsoft, including JBL PowerUp Bluetooth Speakers, Xbox ONE and Xbox 360 games, software licenses, gadgets and more. The first drawing will be during the Lightning Talks after the day of training for all attendees. Another drawing will be held near the end of the event in the evening for the attendees who stayed to code and get help during the hands-on workshop.
Breakfast, snacks, lunch and dinner will be served. Come see the latest Windows Phone & Windows 8 devices in our device bar, and connect with other developers in the community
Register for free today! This is a unique event you just can’t miss!
DVLUP Day NYC Agenda – March 22, 2014
- 8:00am – Registration Opens: Continental breakfast & coffee will be served.
- 9:00am – Opening Session: Introduction from Nokia, meet the experts, housekeeping.
*** 15 min break ***
- 10:00am – Windows Phone Breakout Sessions: 4 tracks
- o Track 1: App Development – Getting Started & App Studio
- o Track 2: App Development – Maps, Imaging & Cloud Services
- o Track 3: Game Development – Getting Started with Unity
- o Track 4: Game Development – Porting Unity Games to Windows Phone
- 12:30pm – Lunch Break
- 1:30pm – Breakout Sessions Continue (same tracks)
*** 15 min break ***
- 3:00pm –Lightning Talks with Q&A
- o App Design & User Experience
- o Windows Phone Packaging & App Store Submission
- o App Marketing & Advertising
- 4:00pm – Hands-on workshop begins – All staff on hand to help you get started
- 6:30pm – Dinner Break
- 9:30pm – Event Ends
Track 1: App Development – Getting Started & App Studio
Learn how to write Windows Phone apps with XAML/C# and explore the amazing APIs available to you. See first-hand how to use the powerful tools, Visual Studio and Blend, to produce great apps with amazing UIs. You will also learn how to generate a store-ready Windows Phone app in under an hour using Microsoft App Studio. Learn how to get started with App Studio and have a store ready app without having to write a single line of code. Then take a dive into the downloadable source code to discover how to customize your app further.
Track 2: App Development – Maps, Imaging & Cloud Development
So you’re already experienced with Windows Phone app development and you want to take your apps to the next level. Join us for a deeper dive into some specific SDKs for Windows Phone developers. You’ll learn about location services, maps and how to call Geospatial Information Services (GIS) from your apps. We’ll also explore the Nokia Imaging SDK, letting you easily add advanced imaging effects and filters when dealing with photos in your apps. Finally, we’ll see how your apps can reach leverage Windows Azure to create a custom back-end to store structured and unstructured data in the cloud and deliver a compelling user experiences. We’ll discuss how you can use Windows Azure to extend the on-line presence of your app by building additional channels to showcase your application and interact with your end-users.
Track 3: Game Development – Getting Started with Unity
Learn how to make fun games for Windows Phone using Unity. In this track you will learn how to code casual 2D games for Windows Phone using one of the best game engines and toolset – used by Indies and Pros alike. And the best part is it’s free! Game development is one of the most fun and rewarding forms of software development. If you’ve ever considered writing games, this is your chance to get started.
Track 4: Game Development – Porting Unity Games to Windows Phone
If you’re already an experienced Unity developer and have published games on other platforms like iOS, Android, PC or others, come join this session to learn how you can reach a whole new audience of gamers on the Windows Phone platform. Learn about adapting your game for touch controls, how to deal with Windows Phone specific considerations, and we’ll even help you to bring your game to the Windows Store too.
Windows Phone 8 development requires Windows 8.x Pro to install the SDK and emulator. If you’re running Windows 7, you can still build Windows Phone 7.8 apps using the 7.1 SDK. If you’re using a Mac, you can create a Windows 8.x Pro virtualized environment using Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion.
All attendees can build Windows Phone applications using a web browser and Microsoft App Studio, as covered in Track 1.
For more information on getting started, visit http://www.ageofmobility.com/?page_id=961.
DVLUP Day was a huge hit with developers in 2013, with stops in Boston, Tampa, Sunnyvale and Vancouver. This is going to be an awesome day in New York City and I look forward to seeing you all there. Just for showing up and learning, you get hooked up. Just for publishing an app, you get hooked up. Mark off that Saturday March 22, register now and come join us.
DVLUP Day New York is completely free to attend but spaces are limited, so make sure you register your interest now.
You will need to have your DVLUP account ID ready. If you haven’t got a DVLUP account yet, just go to http://bit.ly/GOVuPN and sign up now. It will only take 2 minutes!
If there’s anything you’d like to know either before or after you register, email us right away.